My Photostream

View my photos at bighugelabs.com

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hello everyone, today is Saturday, March 27, 2010.

OMG! The first quarter of the year is nearly over. Winter is waning and spring just around the corner. It seems both coasts got a taste of spring this past Saturday (the 20th) as temps were around 70 in the West and close to 80 in the East.

Given such a beautiful day I elected to take a walk-about 'round Baltimore's Inner Harbor. I'd driven through the city before, always on my way somewhere else, so this was the first time I stopped to venture out.

It's quite compact and lots to see within a few square blocks. Since it is a working harbor there are several maritime exhibits to see which are operated by Historic Ships in Baltimore. For a fee you are permitted to tour the USS Constellation, the USS Torsk, the USCGC Taney, and the Lightship Chesapeake. Then there is the oldest surviving screwpile light house known as the Seven Foot Knoll Lighthouse. I passed on the tours but did manage to get a couple shots of these well maintained pieces of history. Directly below is the light house...

And then here is one of the Taney...


In addition to these attractions is the National Aquarium. I passed on this too as there was quite the line of folks trying to get in. Maybe next time I'll give it a go.

So after walking for a couple of hours in 80 degree heat and long sleeves (I had no idea it would be this warm), I thought I'd better stop to get a cool drink: enter the Pratt Street Ale House. Now there is all manner of food places around the Inner Harbor. But I found this place as I was walking over toward Camden Yards. I'm sure this would be a great place for a meal and the menu had some wonderful items, but what got me was the Beer Menu. How can you not like a place that has a menu dedicated to craft brews. After a detailed review of the menu I decided to try the Blackfriar Stout, which by the way was real good.


Needless to say the afternoon in Baltimore was great. The weather was warm, a plethora of photo ops, and lots of excellent venues to eat and drink. I look forward to my return. That's it for now and we'll see y'all soon.

Later

No comments:

Post a Comment