My Photostream

View my photos at bighugelabs.com

Monday, March 8, 2010

F**K YOU Tom Delay

Hi all and forgive the title. It's Monday, March 8, 2010.

I came across a headline that really hit a nerve this morning. It was published by "The Huffington Post" and read as follows, Tom Delay: People Are Unemployed Because They Want To Be.

That statement really pisses me off! I have been actively seeking any kind of employment since August of last year. I have submitted hundreds of resumes to employers across a wide range of industries; from IT Security (my most recent position) to truck driving. If you apply to an employer looking for someone with your skills, they have between 6 to 10 other candidates or more from which to choose. If you apply as a grocery clerk (and I did and worked in this industry in my twenties) they don't even bother to look at your skills. They immediately consider you to be overqualified. I will admit that there are likely a handful of the populace that has no desire to go back to work and continue to live off the government tit through unemployment benefits, food stamps, welfare, or some combination of benefits. But I for one along with countless others WANT to work. We want to secure gainful employment and regain our self respect. We want to have something meaningful to do with our lives and something to represent our efforts at the end of a full day of work. I personally take affront to this statement and feel that everyone who has been in the same boat with me voice their opinion. I don't have a wealthy wife to lean on. In fact my wife cannot work and thus dependent on me to support us both. I want and need to work as I'm certain that most real MEN do. For someone who is supposed to have been a public servant, I find this kind of comment uncalled for, inappropriate, irresponsible, and offensive. But, perhaps that is one reason he is no longer a public servant.

I invite your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment